Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Parking Lot Philanthropy: Giving Thanks by Giving Back

Parking Lot Philanthropy: 

Giving Thanks by Giving Back

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
 
 

As we get close to Thanksgiving and begin the seasons of shopping for gifts, I'd like to share my own version of philathropy.  Of course, we may tell ourselves that we should be less materialistic and more centered on doing good, using our time and treasure to make the world a better place, but most of us can not resist the pull of the purse.  Maybe love does make the world go 'round but having some money to spend sure generates a lot of excitement if not love.   

For some years now, I've practiced what I call "Parking Lot Philanthropy."  It's a level of giving that fits someone who has been a single parent, a librarian, a minister, and in my early years, mostly a student working part-time.  It's very simple, I save change, keep it in baggies, and when I'm out and about I drop some of it in parking lots.  These days as a member of the hospice traveling staff, I have ample opportunities to visit parking lots--Wawa, Turkey Hill, hospital parking lots, nursing home parking lots, and the usual grocery stories, etc.  I save my pennies for the stories that share pennies.  It might be too disappointing to pick up pennies in the parking lot.  Feel free to try it out for yourself. 

Other Ways to Give at the Holidays

Wanting to set a good example for my daughter (To be continued.)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment